Frequently Asked Questions About Oval-8 Splints
- How do Oval-8 Splints work?
- How do I choose the correct Oval-8 size?
- Should the splints fit tight or loose?
- What can I do if the splint is too tight or loose sometimes?
- Can Oval-8 Finger Splints be adjusted?
- Does an Oval-8 Finger Splint need to be taped on?
- Can I wear them in water and how long will they last?
- Where can I buy Oval-8 splints? Are they available in stores?
- Do Oval-8 Finger Splints contain latex?
Click for customer testimonials.
2. How do I choose the correct Oval-8 size? For options on how to choose the correct size(s), we recommend visiting the How to Measure for the Correct Size(s) Oval-8 page on this website.
There are 3 methods for choosing the correct size:
Oval-8 Sizing Set
The best way to size for an Oval-8® splint is by using the splints themselves. Many health care providers, particularly those who specialize in treating hand and finger conditions, have the Oval-8 Sizing Set or Kit and can make certain the splint is the correct treatment for you and assure that you get the size that best fits and treats your condition.
To locate a Hand Surgeon or Hand Therapist in your area, visit the About Us page.
Oval-8 Sizing Guide
We have developed a paper Oval-8 Sizing Guide to help you choose the size splint most likely to fit your finger. Watch the instructional video, print out the Sizing Guide, and carefully follow each step.
Make certain to measure the joint you will be wearing the splint on. If you need to splint the end (DIP) joint, measure that joint. If you will be wearing the Oval-8 for a problem at the middle joint (PIP), measure that joint.
Jeweler's Ring Sizer
Oval-8 splint sizes do correspond to jeweler’s ring sizes but they are not an exact match. Consumers can go to a jeweler to have their finger sized. Unlike a ring that goes all the way around the finger, the Oval-8 is an open circle and sizing is likely to vary just enough so that the splint is either too snug or not snug enough to be effective. The sizer should be fit directly on the affected joint and a snug fit is recommended.
3. Should the splints fit tight or loose? In general, for MOST conditions, the Oval-8 splints should fit snugly but not so tight they leave marks or are uncomfortable. Since Oval-8 splints are fit on the joint, they should be snug enough not to turn or slip on the finger.
As the fit of the Oval-8 can be adjusted by simply turning the splint and putting the opposite end on first, check to see whether you have the smaller or larger end on to get a secure fit. See information below on purchasing an Oval-8 Graduated Set of 3 sizes so you are assured of having the proper size at all times.
4. What can I do if the splint is too tight or loose sometimes? If your fingers are slightly swollen in the morning, the splints might be too tight to wear when you awaken. Try the splint on after a few hours. If your hands get cold, your fingers may actually be smaller than usual and the splints can be too big.
Each Oval-8 is designed to fit both a full size and a size and a half to accommodate slight changes in swelling and temperature. Check to see that you put the correct end on first to meet your sizing need. Try turning the splint around so the other end goes on first and see if that is a better fit.
Because even very small changes in swelling, time of day or temperature affect how the splints fit, we recommend purchasing a Graduated Set of 3 splint sizes to assure you have a correct fit no matter the conditions. Purchasing a Graduated Set is a very cost effective way of getting the Oval-8 splints and helps prevent having to exchange sizes or being without the splint on days where only one size may not fit.
5. Can Oval-8 Finger Splints be adjusted? Yes, Oval-8 splints can be adjusted with a high temperature heat gun to change the angle or length of the splint. The splints are made of an injection molded plastic (they are latex-free) and this is not something that can be done with a hairdryer. Adjusting Oval-8 splints for a custom fit should be done by your health care provider or medical equipment supplier.
6. Does an Oval-8 Finger Splint need to be taped on? If the Oval-8 is fit correctly, generally no tape or straps are needed. You may consider using a self-adherent wrap such as Co-Wrap or Coban if wearing Oval-8 splints during athletics or during activities such as gardening or cleaning when the splints might be likely to slip off.
7. Can I wear them in water and how long will they last? Oval-8 splints are made out of seamless, molded plastic and can be worn in water and in all temperature conditions.
Oval-8 splints will last for years of daily wear. By far the number one reason they are replaced, is when they have been lost or misplaced.
8. Where can I buy Oval-8 splints? Are they available in stores?
a) You can purchase Oval-8 splints online through many of our trusted online suppliers. Visit the Where to Buy page to locate a supplier.
b) If you know the size you need or are replacing splints, you may contact 3-Point Products directly.
c) Oval-8 Splints are not available in drugstores or medical supply shops at this time.
9. Do Oval-8 Finger Splints contain latex? No. Oval-8 splints are 100% Latex-Free.